Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Gingerbread Crochet Cake

I made this cake more than a year ago, for my friend Christy's birthday. It's one of my very favorite cake recipes: Applesauce Gingerbread from Joy of Cooking (1997 edition). The only change I make to the recipe is to increase the amount of each spice.

For Christy's cake I made a powdered sugar icing with orange extract for flavor. The orange goes well with the ginger flavor of the cake. Christy likes to crochet, so I added a real crochet needle to the top and tried to make the colored icing look like yarn. She got to keep the needle, of course. :-)

I've also made Applesauce Gingerbread with cream cheese icing...verrrrry yummy. It's also good with just a sprinkling of powdered sugar instead of icing.

Myriam has made some AMAZING cakes in the past--maybe she'll post some photos of her creations. hint hint
CakesCat SweetCat

No comments:

Post a Comment