Search This Blog

Thursday, May 31, 2007

My First Blueberry Pie


The top crust broke and the blueberries seeped, but it tasted damn good for a first try. This was the first fruit pie I've ever made. It was surprisingly easy to make homemade crust. I found an all-butter recipe in the book How To Cook Everything: The Basics by Mark Bittman. It's verrrry easy with a food processor.

I've made pat-in-the-pan crust before (for pumpkin pie), but this rolled type is so much better. It came out nice and flaky. It was actually easier than pat-in-the-pan anyway...so it's rolled crusts from now on for me!

The blueberry filling recipe was from The Joy of Cooking. I used frozen storebought blueberries, which aren't as good as fresh, I'm afraid. The pie definitely wasn't as good as Brenda's pies -- she uses homegrown blueberries! Maybe if I can get my hands on some good fresh blueberries and practice more often, my pies will taste better. (And maybe LOOK better, haha.) I'm definitely psyched to make more of these.

2 comments:

  1. I had to go searching for my sign-in name&password or else this would have shown up yesterday!

    Tha pie looks absolutely yummy! Looks a lot like mine, actually heh heh heh. Mine always bleed out, I think it's because of the frozen berries (gives up their water more easily than fresh).
    I love making pie crusts too, I mix shortening with butter (only because I found some vegan, trans fat free shortening), the crust has a different texture but it all depends on humidity too. I spend way too much time thinking about this stuff hahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just tried this recipe (JOC for filling) because we had a ridiculous number of fresh blueberries leftover. It really does make a difference!

    I tried a different fat for making the dough--I used a vegan shortening, trans-fat free, etc. (how was that possible as it was solid?). The crust was flaky, easy to roll out, but wasn't the sort of flaky as butter crusts. More of a finer-crumb flaky. I'll have to check the Mark Bittman recipe out.

    ReplyDelete