Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Tiny Veggie Patties


I've been experimenting with the Veggie and Bean Burgers recipe from my Betty Crocker cookbook. The recipe can be made into burgers, or formed into balls and baked to make "meatballs". Today I used the recipe to make little patties using Wilton mini muffin pans. These particular pans are shallow, so they are perfect for making little flat circles. (I also made balls with the leftover mix.) These will be going into my next bento! I finally got a real bento box, so I'm looking forward to using it.

The main ingredients are: rice, mushrooms, garbanzo beans, brocolli, breadcrumbs, garlic, various spices, and an egg. I ommitted the red bell pepper that the recipe calls for, and added spinach (which explains why the patties are that wonky shade of green!). I've been experimenting with the spices called for in the cookbook, because I found their version to be a bit bland. Maybe I'll post the recipe after I make another batch...I haven't hit on the perfect flavor combination yet.

Sorry for the blurry photo of the patties...our camera is on loan, so I used Sheu's webcam. :)

Here's a photo of the shallow mini muffin pans from the Wilton website. I bought them at Michael's craft store. You can't tell in the photo, but they are quite small (about half as big as a regular muffin pan).


Update: These turned out to be a great freezer item! I froze them on a cookie sheet, then put them in freezer bags (the same method as gyoza). It was easy to use them in a bento -- I just popped a few from the freezer into the microwave for 30 seconds. They were perfect for lunch (with some A-1 sauce, yum!).

1 comment:

  1. Hey these look really weird! Must be the green, try some wasabi for flavor, you can just dip in, will go with the color scheme here. I have some little muffin pans also, I like to make sweet things in them. Just a couple of bites and just right for taking on hikes in the woods, or a quick small snack. Glad to see you are enjoying your new cookbook, keep experimenting, you have always been good at that, remember the fried tomatoes? Brenda

    ReplyDelete