Search This Blog

Saturday, December 02, 2006

Almond Tart



My mother-in-law gave me this recipe months ago, saying it was very good but not until I made it the other evening did I realize what "very good" really means: Heaven for your mouth.
(just ignore how much butter the recipe call for)


note: I always use demerara sugar {made with sugar beets by Rogers right here in Canada!}
It affects the end product, making it darker and influences the flavour and texture (like in jam) but we prefer it.
So if you want to make this tart how it was originally intended, use white sugar.

Almond Tart
Preheat the oven at 375*F.
Start with a shortbread crust:
~3/4 cup soft butter
~1/2 cup sugar (brown)~1 2/3 cups flour
Stir together the flour and sugar then mix the butter in.
Press the crust into a pan (spring form but a pie plate will do too) (OR you can use a pie crust)

For the filling:

Beat together:
~1/3 cup soft butter
~1/2 cup sugar (brown)
Then add: ~ 1 egg~1 tsp almond extract
Mix in:
~3/4 cup ground almonds~1 Tbs flour

Spread onto unbaked crust and bake for 35 minutes.

----I've included a photo of the ingredients because I thought how weird and antiseptic they looked all wrapped up in cling-wrap. I had prepared the ingredients earlier in the day and wanted to protect them so I wrapped them. I'm not usually that uptight. much. I snapped the flour&sugar photo because I always like the looks of ingredients at that stage. (one of my small pleasures when I worked in a bakery years ago)

Charles loved this tart so much, he ate a second slice and felt sick all evening...all that butter!

1 comment:

  1. Looks yummy. Is that one of your handmade ceramic dishes? I love your pottery. :)

    ReplyDelete