Search This Blog

Thursday, December 07, 2006

Soup!

Tonight I threw together a soup (or stew?) with whatever we had on hand. I've had difficulty with making up soups in the past -- usually the broth turns out bland. Tonight I finally achieved a good flavor!

The soup contained:

Generous drizzle of olive oil
Chopped carrots
Chopped red onion
Minced garlic
Equal parts water and vegetable broth
Cubed potatoes
Salt, pepper, oregano, basil, cumin, bay leaf, thyme, cayenne pepper
Petite diced tomatoes (canned)
Lentils (canned)
Green beans (frozen organic, handful from the bag)
Chopped spinach (frozen organic, several handfuls)

I ladled some of the finished soup to a separate pot for Sheu and added boneless chicken breast (sauteed with rosemary and cut into small pieces). He gave it a thumbs up. Yay!

I started buying frozen spinach in bags instead of those solid bricks of boxed spinach. The bagged kind doesn't need to be defrosted -- you can just grab a handful and throw it right in soup, pasta sauce, or whatever! For recipes that DO require thawed & drained spinach, the bagged kind thaws sooo much faster than the boxed kind.

1 comment:

  1. (wait while I wipe the drool)
    Ok, wow. That soup looks delicious. I had to smile when I read you added some chicken for sheu's portion. When I was a vegetarian, Hector's main comment on food was "hmmmm very good but it would be better with some chicken". Took him about 10 years to stop saying that and then I quit being a vegetarian.
    What? No lima beans??

    ReplyDelete